Ever heard of 'Freekah'? We never had, but boy are we glad we stumbled upon this nutritious grain in a mouth-watering salad at George Colambaris' Hellenic Republic. We've been raving about this divine dish ever since, so we thought we would share the recipe with you. It's become a staple on our weekly meal planner ever since we found it on foodie blog Adeline and Lumiere. If you're feeling adventurous in the kitchen, give it a whirl. We promise your taste buds will thank you!
TIP: If you're based in Melbourne you can find the grain Freekah at The Essential Ingredient at Prahran Market.
Cypriot Grain Salad
Recipe by George Calombaris
1 bunch coriander shredded
½ bunch parsley shredded
½ red onion finely diced
1 cup freekah (or cracked wheat)
½ cup puy lentils
2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp toasted slivered almonds
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
2 tbsp baby capers
½ cup currants
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsp extra virgin olive
Sea salt to taste
1 cup thick Greek yoghurt
1 tsp cumin seeds toasted and ground
1 tbsp honey
1. Blanch freekah/cracked wheat and puy lentils separately in boiling water until both just cooked.
2. Drain well and allow to cool.
3. Mix the yoghurt, cumin and honey till combined.
4. In a medium bowl place the coriander, parsley, red onion, freekah, puy lentils, toasted nuts, capers, currants, lemon juice and olive oil. Mix well, season to taste.
5. Add the yoghurt mixture on top just before serving or serve it on the side.